Do you think you’re a maestro when it comes to musical knowledge? Then test yourself against this set of music trivia questions and answers. Be warned though, they cover the whole range of music so you’ll have to be good!
70 Music Trivia Questions
These music trivia questions will test your complete knowledge of music. Good luck!
Round 1: 80s Music Trivia Questions
Our first ten music questions cover the glorious era of 1980s music.
1. Who was the lead singer of the 1980’s pop group Culture Club?
2. Which American singer died as a result of anorexia in 1983, aged just 32?
3. Which British 1980s pop group took their name from a mad scientist in the movie “Barbarella”?
4. “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” was the first U.S. single released by which English new wave duo, reaching number one in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1983?
5. “Walk Like an Egyptian” was the first number one song for which female band?
6. “See the stone set in your eyes, See the thorn twist in your side” are the first lines to which U2 song, which became their first U.S. number one in 1987?
7. Who told us “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” in 1987?
8. Which British singer teamed up with Queen in 1981 for the hit single “Under Pressure”?
9. Which Survivor song was the theme song for the 1982 movie “Rocky III”?
10. Which Norwegian band had a global smash hit in 1985 with the song “Take On Me”?
- Boy George.
- Karen Carpenter.
- Duran Duran.
- The Bangles.
- With or Without You.
- Whitney Houston.
- David Bowie.
- Eye of the Tiger.
Round 2: Easy Music Trivia Questions
Round two of our music quiz features ten easy music trivia questions.
1. Whose 2013 world tour was called “The Mrs Carter Show”?
2. Which type of wood did the Beatles sing about?
3. Who had a hit in the 1970s with his song Piano Man?
4. Who rose to fame with the hit song I Kissed A Girl?
5. How is singer/songwriter Robert Zimmerman better known?
6. Which rock band had a number one hit with “Don’t Stop Believin'” in 1981?
7. Which pop superstar debuted his signature “Moonwalk” dance in 1983?
8. Lyricist Bernie Taupin has collaborated on more than 30 albums with which English singer/songwriter/pianist?
9. Which American singer, known as “The Queen of Pop”, began their 11th concert tour, called “Madame X Tour”, in 2019?
10. Which singer/songwriter, who’s hits include “Born to Run” and “Glory Days”, boasts the nickname “The Boss”?
- Billy Joel.
- Katy Perry.
- Bob Dylan.
- Michael Jackson.
- Elton John.
- Bruce Springsteen.
Round 3: Classical Music Trivia Quiz
Classical music is the topic for round three of our music trivia questions.
1. Who composed “The Four Seasons”?
2. How many strings does a violin have?
3. In Gustav Holst’s “The Planets”, which planet is the Bringer of Old Age?
4. The sackbut was an early form of which musical instrument?
5. Who composed the opera “Carmen”?
6. “Turandot” was the last, unfinished opera by which composer?
7. Which Victorian pair’s comic operas include “The Mikado” and “The Pirates of Penzance”?
8. Which Austrian composer’s best known waltz is “The Blue Danube”?
9. Which one-movement orchestral piece, famously skated to by ice dancers Torvill & Dean at the 1984 Winter Olympics, is the most well-known work by composer Maurice Ravel?
10. Which composer’s only opera was “Fidelio”?
- Antonio Vivaldi.
- The trombone.
- Georges Bizet.
- Giacomo Puccini.
- Gilbert and Sullivan.
- Johann Strauss II.
- Ludwig van Beethoven.
Round 4: Pop Music Trivia Questions
Round 4 features a range of general pop music trivia questions.
1. Which pop singer’s real name is Robyn Fenty?
2. What was Elvis Presley’s first U.S. number one hit single on the Billboard Hot 100 charts?
3. Joe Cocker had a 1969 hit with his cover of which Beatles song, later used as the them song for the T.V. show “The Wonder Years”?
4. The hit singles “Woman In Love” (Barbra Streisand), “Chain Reaction” (Diana Ross), “Islands In The Stream” (Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton), and “Heartbreaker” (Dionne Warwick) were all written by which pop group?
5. Which pop star played 27 different instruments on their debut album For You?
6. Name the four members of The Monkees?
7. Which singer had a global hit with the song “Shape of You” in 2017?
8. Which singer featured on Mark Ronson’s 2014 number one song “Uptown Funk”?
9. “Call Me Maybe” was a global hit in 2012 for which Canadian singer?
10. Who was “All About That Bass” in 2014?
- Heartbreak Hotel.
- With A Little Help From My Friends.
- The Bee Gees.
- Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork.
- Ed Sheeran.
- Bruno Mars.
- Carly Rae Jepsen.
- Meghan Trainor.
Round 5: Country Music Trivia Quiz
Country music trivia is the topic of round 5 of our music quiz.
1. Which country singer wrote Patsy Cline’s hit “Crazy”?
2. Who was the first country artist to sell over 10 million copies of an album?
3. Who had a 1981 hit with the song “9 To 5” from the film of the same name?
4. Which pioneer of outlaw country music wrote and performed “Good Ol’ Boys”, the theme song for the T.V. series “The Dukes of Hazzard”?
5. Which country music great wrote the songs “Your Cheatin’ Heart”, “Hey, Good Lookin'” and “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”?
6. Which singer, sister of Loretta Lynn, had her biggest hit with “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?”
7. Which two country singers teamed up for the 2003 hit “Beer for My Horses”?
8. Which “Stand By Your Man” singer married George Jones in 1969, although they divorced in 1975?
9. Who had a huge number one hit in 1973 with “The Most Beautiful Girl”?
10. Which country legend, a member of the Grand Ole Opry since 1991, was hired by the Eagles in 2017 following the death of Glenn Frey?
- Willie Nelson.
- Garth Brooks.
- Dolly Parton.
- Waylon Jennings.
- Hank Williams.
- Crystal Gale.
- Toby Keith and Willie Nelson.
- Tammy Wynette.
- Charlie Rich.
- Vince Gill.
Round 6: Rock Music Trivia Questions
Born to be wild? Then you should do well with these rock music trivia questions!
1. Which Rolling Stones guitarist was found dead in a swimming pool in 1969?
2. Michael Stipe was the lead singer of which rock group?
3. How is American singer Michael Lee Aday better known?
4. What was the name of the first lead singer of AC/DC, who died in 1980 at the age of 33?
5. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain were all what age when they died?
6. Which American band’s 2015 debut single “Cake by the Ocean” was a huge worldwide hit?
7. Which group’s 1987 debut album was titled “Appetite for Destruction”?
8. Joe Elliot is the lead singer of which rock band whose hits include “Love Bites” and “Pour Some Sugar on Me”?
9. Which rock band asked us to “Walk This Way” in 1977, a question they repeated along with Run D.M.C in 1986?
10. Flea is the bassist with which American rock band?
- Brian Jones.
- Michael Stipe.
- Bon Scott.
- Guns ‘N’ Roses.
- Def Leppard.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Round 7: 90s Music Trivia Questions
Round 7 features 1990s music trivia questions.
1. Which girl group burst onto the music scene in 1996 with “Wannabe”?
2. Which band had their first hit in 1997 with “MMMBop”?
3. Which artist was “Livin’ la Vida Loca” in 1999?
4. In 1996, who told us “Don’t Speak”?
5. Los del Rios had a huge 1996 world-wide hit with which dance song?
6. Which Australian former soap star was “Torn” in 1997?
7. Which singer released the “Genie in a Bottle” in 1999?
8. Released in 1998 and becoming a world-wide smash hit, what was Britney’s Spears debut single?
9. Dolores O’Riordan was lead singer with which band who had a 1993 hit with “Linger”?
10. Who had a hit in 1994 with “All I Wanna Do”?
- Spice Girls.
- Ricky Martin.
- No Doubt.
- Natalie Imbruglia.
- Christina Aguilera.
- Baby One More Time.
- The Cranberries.
- Cheryl Crow.
Music Trivia Quiz
If you enjoyed these music trivia questions and answers, check out our other trivia questions, including these: