It ain’t over till the fat lady sings and, just in the nick of time, we’ve brought you this fabulous collection of free opera trivia questions and answers! How many will you get right?
Opera Trivia Questions
1. In which country did opera originate?
2. Which Verdi opera is set in Egypt?
3. What is the name of the leading female singer in an opera?
4. Who was the first black opera singer to perform at the White House?
Marie Selika Williams, in 1878.
5. Who wrote the opera Carmen?
6. What does the word opera mean in Italian?
7. Which of George Gershwin’s works is considered a “folk opera”?
Porgy and Bess.
8. Which opera did Verdi write based on the story of the King of Babylon?
9. Which city features the world’s oldest working opera house?
Naples, Italy (The Teatro di San Carlo).
10. What type of French opera uses spoken dialogue and is set on a smaller scale than grand opera?
11. Jacopo Peri is best known for writing which opera?
12. Who composed La favola d’Orfeo, a work that marks the beginning of opera as a major art form?
13. Who composed the opera The Barber of Seville?
14. In what year did the Sydney Opera House open?
15. Which voice part sings the title role of Mozart’s opera Don Giovanni?
16. How old was Mozart when he wrote his first opera?
17. On which epic poem was Purcell’s opera Dido and Aeneas based?
The Aeneid by Virgil.
18. Who composed an opera about a mermaid?
Antonin Dvorak (Rusalka).
19. Which opera concerns a court jester’s daughter who is seduced by her father’s master?
Rigoletto, by Giuseppe Verdi.
20. What opera is the aria Nessun Dorma from?
Turandot, by Giacomo Puccini.
Opera Trivia Quiz
If you enjoyed our opera trivia quiz, check out the rest of LaffGaff for lots more great free trivia questions and answers, including these: