We love facts and trivia here at LaffGaff, as you may have noticed. And every now and then we come across amazing and weird facts that it’s hard to believe are true. So astounding our first reaction is “what the f…”!
So we thought we’d share with you a collection of all our favorite fun wtf facts. Here they are – enjoy!
Fun WTF Facts
1. The only time the word incorrectly isn’t spelled incorrectly is when it’s spelled incorrectly.
2. The average human being has fewer than two legs. If you think about it, this makes perfect sense. No human being has more than two legs but a substantial number of people have less then two legs bringing the average below two.
3. If a piece of paper were folded in half 42 times, it would reach to the moon. This fact sure does make you go WTF! But here’s proof that it’s accurate.
4. There are more hydrogen atoms in a teaspoon of water than there are teaspoons of water in the sea.
5. A 17-inch pizza offers more pizza than two 12-inch pizzas. Remember that next time you’re ordering!
6. There are more ways to arrange a standard 52-card deck than there are atoms in the entire earth. This means every time you shuffle a deck, it’s likely that particular sequence of cards has never been shuffled before!
7. Inflammable and flammable are synonyms – they both mean the same thing.
8. In the U.S. state of Maine, there are more black bears than black people. There are estimated to be between 24,000 and 36,000 black bears in the state while there are only approximately 16,000 black people.
11. The color orange was named after the fruit.
13. The UK consumes more baked beans than the rest of the world put together.
14. A million seconds is 12 days. A billion seconds is 32 years.
15. There is a city in Alaska named Unalaska.
16. There are more trees on Earth than there are stars in the Milky Way. The number of trees on our planet is estimated to be about 3 trillion, while the number of stars in the Milky Way is estimated to be around 100 billion.
17. From when it was discovered to when it was declassified as a planet, Pluto did not make a full orbit around the sun.
18. Charlie Chaplin outlived Elvis Presley. Only just though – Chaplin died on 25 December, 1977 while Presley died on August 16, 1977.
19. There is more time elapsed between stegosaurus and tyrannosaurus than between tyrannosaurus and humans. Stegosaurus roamed the earth around 144 and 156 million years ago, during the late Jurassic period. Tyrannosaurs roamed the earth around 65 to 67 million years ago, during the late Cretaceous period.
20. If you scaled the Earth down to the size of a billiard cue ball it would be smooth enough and round enough to exceed the highest standards for a competition level cue ball.
21. A blue whale’s fart bubble is large enough to hold a horse.
22. Launching a nuclear weapon within the City of Chicago is punishable by up to 30 days’ imprisonment and a $1,000 fine. The city declared itself a nuclear weapon-free zone in 1986.
23. A day on Venus is longer than a year on Venus. A sidereal day (the length of time it takes the planet to rotate once on its axis) on Venus lasts for 243 Earth days. It takes Venus about 225 Earth days to orbit the sun.
24. Sharks are older than trees.
25. The wingspan of a 747 is longer than the Wright brother’s first flight. The wingspan of the Boeing 747-400 is 212 feet. The length of the Wright brother’s first flight was 120 feet.
26. On Jupiter and Saturn, it literally rains diamonds.
27. The measurement of time, the second, is called that because it’s the second division of the hour (after minutes, obviously).
28. In the average classroom there is a better than 1 in 2 chance that two students have the same birthday. Although it seems counter-intuitive and is most definitely a WTF fact, it’s true and is due to what is known as the Birthday Paradox.
29. Most female aphids are born pregnant.
31. Ohio is the only U.S. state that doesn’t share a letter with the word “mackerel”.
32. Alaska has the distinction of holding the westernmost, northernmost, and easternmost points in the US.
33. If you cut holes in a net, it has fewer holes.
34. If you gently bite your tongue and try to think words with the letter S in them, your inner mental voice will lisp. Go on, try it!
35. Yoda and Miss Piggy were both voiced by the same person – the actor Frank Oz.
36. Cleopatra lived closer to the invention of the iPhone than she did to the building of the Great Pyramid. Construction on the Great Pyramid started around 2550 B.C. Cleopatra was born in 69 B.C. and died in 30 B.C. The first iPhone was launched in 2007.
37. You can’t hum while holding your nose.
38. If you were to take away the space between the atoms that make up every human on earth, we would all collectively fit into the space that an apple takes up.
40. Human beings only use one nostril at a time.
41. Cucumbers, eggplants and bananas are all berries.
43. In Japan, more paper is used to make manga comic books than toilet paper.
44. Humans are the best endurance runners on the planet, able to outrun any species given enough distance/time.
45. Natural gas has no smell. The smell is added to the gas lines to allow people to detect it before an accident occurs.
46. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321.
47. Cold coffee and warm soda are the same temperature.
48. Each year, New Year’s Day comes before New Year’s Eve.
50. There are more than 200 corpses on Mount Everest that are used as way points for climbers.
More Facts & Trivia
If you enjoyed these fun wtf facts, be sure to check out the rest of LaffGaff too, including these popular pages: